Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Secret Sewing Revealed

All of June I was working on some secret sewing and I can finally reveal them! I made several door banners for my sister's birthday gift. This is the first design--I used the Farm House Block and the Tree Blocks from Lori Holt's Farm Girl Vintage book. It finished 14 x 36 inches. I cross hatched quilted it in a 1.5 inch grid. I love how it came out! I think I need to make one of these for my own front door...
I made one of these door banners for myself last summer and decided to make her one too. It is also a combination of blocks from Farm Girl Vintage. The sunflowers themselves are 6 inch Sunny Sunflower Blocks and the leaves are Crops Blocks all done in greens. This was also quilted cross hatched with a 1.5 inch grid.
I used this happy sunflower fabric for the backing.
This door banner is inspired by Art to Heart's Table Please Part One book. They showed something similar as a table runner. I tweaked it to this cheerful door banner.
 The last door banner I made was this sweet birdhouse. It was also quilted with a 1.5 inch grid.
I sent my sister this divided basket, so she can roll up the door banners and have it handy for changing them out.
I had to get a new car--my lease was up. This time around I was shopping for a deal. I need a little SUV because I cart around quite a bit of supplies for work and with our snowy weather. I ended up with another Toyota RAV4, but I got this one in dark gray and it is $50 less a month than my last one. I think that qualifies as a deal!
After picking up my new car, my daughter and I headed to Bed Bath and Beyond to start her college dorm shopping. They have an excellent program where we can select items here in Colorado by scanning them at our local store. A list is created and sent to the store of our choice in New York, then they pull all the items and hold them for us. We don't pay for anything until we pick them up and we can also decide not to buy items. She selected a gray comforter set with white and coral sheets. We will also be ordering things from Target and having them shipped to a store back in New York for pick up. Lots of planning, logistics, and money are required to move over 2000 miles to college via airplane!

Have a great week!


13 comments:

  1. I like all the banners but especially the sunflowers and the bird house.
    Is the basket one that is meant to hold silverware? Such a good idea for holding small quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute banners. I know those things are also popular with seniors who live in facilities where they can't personalize much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful banners! Will look wonderful on your sisters door. Big job getting your daughter sorted for college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic banners! 2,ooo miles away...what a "new year" you have ahead of you. So gladyou are both enjoying the preparations together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The banners are super cute, love the home sweet home. Your Sister is going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her sister loves them very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those banners are darling. What thoughtful b'day gifts!
    Having an adult child so far away is tough on everyone, but you'll be amazed how adult she will be in just a little time. Thankfully when our son left for the military, we didn't have to set up housekeeping. :-) You have found a brilliant way to help her get set up and ready for school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your banners are great! I made the shamrock table runner myself. I like the clever idea for the basket for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work on the banners. They are a wonderful gifts.
    It does sound like a great deal on your new car.
    And good luck with all the college plans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute door banners! And such a great idea for a gift. I'm going to have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The banners are adorable. What a great gift. What fun getting your daughter ready to leave for school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The door banners all turned out great! I like the lucky shamrock one. This is an idea that would work at my sister's house as well. She has a great door she can decorate. Best of luck to you and your daughter on the major move to college. Thanks for sharing and linking up to last week's TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!