Sunday, November 2, 2014

Gift Making Time

 Last Christmas, I was unprepared with small gifts for my co-workers and ended up spending a fortune on last minute presents. I vowed that would not happen this year! I have been on the lookout for a small handmade item that would be inexpensive, but would be a thoughtful, personalized gift. Fat Quarter Shop came  to the rescue with their free, simple, quick, and adorable Coffee Koozie pattern http://www.fatquartershop.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/CoffeeKoozie-Pattern.pdf
 Here is my sample using purple scraps. They recommend using a mini charm pack which would be good if I did not have overflowing scrap bins...I picked up 13 of the reusable dollar cups at Starbucks and need to get some more because I offered to make some for my daughter for some her favorite teachers. High school teachers are not showered with gifts the way that elementary teachers are, so they are much more appreciative of goodies!
I got elastic hair bands at the dollar store and buttons from my stash. I am going to fill the cups with candy and hot drink mix packets. Then, put bows and gift tags on them and they will be fun, useful, and inexpensive gifts.
 I whipped these up yesterday afternoon in no time flat. My daughter's high school colors are black and red, so those are for some of her teachers. The other nice thing about these coffee koozies is they are good for males too!
I have made progress on one of my last blocks for the Love Blooms Here BOM I have been working on all year. For Slow Sunday Stitching, I need to add the leaves on this side and start on the other side. It is a rainy, windy day here which is perfect to stay in my pajamas, drink warm drinks, watch football, and slow stitch all day. To be inspired by other slow stitching visit Kathy's linking party here http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com

I am about half way done with the quilting for my Modern Herringbone and I hope to finish that and start on the hand binding. I should have it finished soon, so stay tuned!

21 comments:

  1. Your coffee cozy gifts are a terrific idea and look so nice - recipients should be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. thanks for the link to the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great gifts! Thanks for the link. Your block looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the flowers on the behind the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great gift idea and thanks for sharing the link! Your wool applique looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I like the purple ones the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool gift idea! Love your applique block!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for quick gifts. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome idea for gifts!

    Cold rainy weather is perfect for slow stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great gift idea for teachers! Middle school teachers are also not showered with gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea for a small gift. It is a wonderful thing to receive! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a Great gift idea! I wanted to Thank You for stopping by and linking up with "Anything Goes Monday". I am enjoying be a guest host and meeting so many new quilty friends. I just started following through B/L and look forward to more of your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great coffee cozy and their washable!!! lov eit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these gifts. So thoughtful and they are going to be much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Love Blooms Here quilt. I subscribe to the magazine and it is an adorable pattern. I never did start it so its fun to see what you are doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It never occurred to me to give these as gifts. Thanks for the idea! I'm in the middle of making tissue cozies for teachers. I think I can crank out 20 of them before Christmas, right? : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great gift idea... and a really good way to reduce all the scraps! Thank you for sharing this. Kind regards from Germany, Annett

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a terrific gift idea! Love it. Well done for getting in there and making those well before the Christmas chaos starts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is clever. I thought they were coat hanger covers at first glance!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, what great gifts for your co-workers! And your BOM block is gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I loved. Kisses

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!