Sunday, January 26, 2014

Charity Sewing & Winner

Hard to believe the weekend is over! I don't feel like I accomplished that much. I did enjoy lots of new visitors from the Grow Your Blog event and I found some new blogs to keep track of, but I did not get as much sewing in as I hoped. I did finish an incredible book, Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and cried my eyes out.
 
During the Christmas season, someone's blog (I apologize, I don't remember who) shared a couple of adorable lunch boxes she made for coworkers. I made note of it because I am always looking for new bags to create. One of the charter schools in my town has an annual bag silent auction and I usually donate a bag. The bag designer, Ayumi, has a great tutorial, you can find here: http://ayumills.blogspot.com/2010/08/tutorial-lunch-bag.html

I picked up outdoor fabric at Joann's because I thought it would be sturdy and not need interfacing. I bought a 1/2 yard of the purple fabric and a 1/2 yard of the lime green chevron fabric. I had the black dot in my stash and I did buy the cording (I am going to change it for a more delicate kind). I spent $8 and can make another bag with what I have left. I might pick up a bento box and water bottle to put in it. I think I might make another couple of these bags with vinyl fabric for the lining, so they will be easier to wipe out. I am really pleased with the result and the fact that it went together quickly. I will definitely make at least two to donate and one for me!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!! Look what I won from mybrownbagstudio.com and Green Fairy Quilts. This Sewing Box jelly roll is precious. It is bright and happy...Now, I need the perfect project!

I also worked on a sewing machine cover/mat for my Singer Featherweight. I am using Lori Holt's pattern from Quilty Fun and I got all the triangle/hourglass blocks done. I still need to work on the spools and get a gray fabric. My embroidered pink elephants are also waiting for me to put them into a baby quilt, I need to go to the store and buy some pink and gray yardage, but going to the quilt shop is dangerous for my budget!!! I do need to get going on my elephant baby quilt if I am going to hand quilt it. I have too many projects going and need to finish some more up this week. My job really interferes with my quilting... What are you up to?

22 comments:

  1. I read Me Before You last fall and loved it! I remember getting nothing else done for two days while I read it every spare moment I had... and I sobbed at the end as well.
    The Sewing Box jelly roll looks so cute! Have fun deciding what to make and show it off when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the win! That is an awesome jelly roll. Love the lunch bag. I need to make one of those for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky you-how fun to win-I love your little bag-that would make a cute beach bag or gym bag too

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats and how lucky love the bag it is so very cute
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. **Love** the lunch bag! It turned out terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag Tanya and Congrats on that Jelly Roll win -- Sweet! I'll have to lookup the book you mentioned -- Book Club is always looking for another great book. I agree about Work getting in the Way -- only 2 more years for me though ; ) Take care - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. as a teacher, I am a cute lunchbag hoarder myself, haha! this is great!

    Thanks for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the lunch bag.
    I just told my sister to read that book...I cried my eyes out too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the jelly roll win! That sure helps out with the budget. That's such a pretty lunch bag. Hope you can get enough free time to work on the rest of your goals. Looking forward to seeing your elephant baby quilt finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to make a lunch bag for my little girl so this is great - thanks very much. And that jelly roll is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the lunch box that would make great secretary gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep thinking I'm going to make myself a cute lunchbox, but never get around to it. Yours is great! I also read Me Befire You recently and loved it. Another good one by the same author is The Girl You Left Behind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful fabric basket and a great idea to use as a lunch box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've featured your basket today. Hope you don't mind, but I also added it to the Fabric Baskets link party...
      http://www.threadingmyway.com/2014/02/threading-your-way-features.html

      Delete
  14. What a fun and cute basket! I hadn't thought of using the outdoor fabric from JoAnn's... Lucky girl winning that bright and fun jelly roll!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely little basket, great idea for a donation item. It would also make a lovely teacher gift.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely lunch bag, I know quite a few people who would like these. Off to look up the tutorial. My weekend has gone too fast and not managed any sewing :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. My job interferes with my embroidery too!

    Thanks for sharing your blog. I'm still trying to make the rounds on the Grow Your Blog! Please stop by & visit my embroidery blog if you have time.

    aprilsongstress

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute lunchbag!! Ayumi has great patterns.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!